Follow Me!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

BAKED OATMEAL WITH ALMONDS AND BLUEBERRIES



Now this looks good!! I have not had baked oatmeal but this recipe caught my eye. I think you could add any kind of nuts you want, I would use pecans because that is what I prefer...I am not a breakfast eater and I know it is the most important meal of the day but I really have a hard time eating anything when I first get up. Since I have been dieting and lots 60 lbs and exercising, I have tried to make a concerted effort to eat something. I have not been too successful, unfortunately, so I do drink Carnation Instant Breakfast and some days Yoplait. I promise to try harder...lol

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cups maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Lemon wedge

Directions

Place half the blueberries and half the maple syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and squeeze in a bit of lemon juice. Cook until berries are soft, about 5 minutes. (This step can be omitted to save time).

Preheat oven to 375°F. Heavily butter an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking dish.

In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the almonds, remaining maple syrup, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, butter, vanilla and almond extracts.

Arrange the maple-covered blueberries (or just half the total blueberries if you skipped the first step) in a single layer at the bottom of the dish (don't worry if it doesn't cover the bottom completely). Cover with the oat mixture, then drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently tap the dish against the counter to make sure the milk saturates all the oats. Top with remaining plain blueberries and almonds.

Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is nicely golden. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes on a wire rack. Cut into slices or squares and serve.

Calories 321                             Sodium 99 mg
Total Fat 17 g                             Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 2 g                             Total Carbs 33 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g             Dietary Fiber 8 g
Monounsaturated 0 g             Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g                             Protein 13 g
Cholesterol 129 mg  
Vitamin A 0%                             Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0%                             Iron 0%


*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF

Share Please!!

Print Friendly and PDF