- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 box (17.25 ounces, 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 2 teaspoons water (for egg wash)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coarse sanding (or granulated) sugar
adapted from Martha Stewart
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out each sheet of dough, still folded into a rectangle about 10 by 14 inches (trim edges straight with a pizza cutter or knife). Cut each rectangle into quarters to form 8 small rectangles.
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries, flour, granulated sugar, and lemon juice; toss to coat. Mound cherry mixture on one side of each rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Lightly brush border with water; fold other side of pastry over cherry mixture, and press edges firmly to seal. With a floured fork, crimp edges.
- Transfer turnovers to a baking sheet. With a paring knife, cut 3 to 4 slits in the top of each turnover. Brush tops with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until turnovers are golden and puffed, and filling is bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.